Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2022

Casa Batllo - inside out

 It took some time to settle on what to do. I wanted to use photos I had taken of Gaudi's palace in Astorga - worth a look if you haven't seen it - but couldn't find my muse there. In the end, I settled for this wonderful image looking out from inside Casa Batllo. There was so much going on. (From Skip The Line website)

It really stretched my skills but mostly my patience - especially with the circles for the windows.


I stitched the outside view and overlaid it with sheer fabric as windows.





I got ahead of myself and put it together before colouring the background! I am trying to remedy that but have had to abandon finishing touches which I was due to do yesterday as, instead, I spent the day in NZ ED with mum watching her health decline as the flood waters rose towards my home in Lismore, Australia. Fortunately, the trajectory of both has been halted and my house is saved but the situation of friends, family and neighbours is just too distressing to comprehend. Anyway, I will titivate it a little when the time comes. So, here we have it. Oh, can't photograph the colour quite right. 





9 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the worries you have at the moment. I love where you are going with your piece. Can't wait to see it in its final stage

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you, Amanda, with everything you are dealing with at the moment. I hope things settle down and you get your life back in order soon.

    I love where you are going with this piece too and especially that you have managed to get the light coming through the circular glass pieces. Please don't rush it. There is no hurry and I'd rather wait and see it as you intended.

    Kindest wishes for your mum, H

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've so much to contend with I'm amazed that you've got this far. I don't Casa Batllo but love your interpretation of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed you've managed to complete so much of the piece under the circumstances. I do hope life improves as we go though the year. I agree with Hilary, the light really seems to shine through the circular 'glass'. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This window was one of my favourite things when going through all the photos of Gaudi's works. You've captured it beautifully. Good to hear that the flooding didn't hit your house - the news clips are quite amazing. And I hope your mum continues her recovery

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love the way you have constructed your piece and also as Hilary said, the way the light shines through the circular glass pieces. Look forward to seeing the finished piece as it is already looking really good. Trusting that your Mum is on the mend and so glad to hear your house is ok after all the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about the floods in Lismore yesterday: it sounds horrendous. I'm glad that your house is ok, and I'm sorry for your friends and neighbours. I like your interpretation of the windows, and like all the detail that can be seen through them when you look 'through' them closely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Amanda. As all have said: don't rush to get it finished. You must have a lot on your plate at the moment. We have to be strong for those worse off than we are. Beautiful interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your positive feedback and kind words. I have actually decided not to do anything else to it. It is a bit of a mystifying piece as in certain lights/angles, it comes to life so I will just try and look at it at a certain angle! Mum is stable and I am finally getting to go home to Lismore for a couple of weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete