Pages

Friday 1 November 2019

Time To Talk.........inspired by the work of Derric van Rensberg

Imagine my surprise when Allison anounced that our next artist is Derric Van Rensberg. As a wonderful parting gift when I left South Africa 12 years ago I was gifted a painting by Derric which now hangs on my bedroom wall. It is so very special to me for a few reasons. The person who gave it to me is a very dear and sadly missed friend. I am welling up as I write..........
It is the view from my kitchen window - Bloubergstrand across to Table Mountain. I love it. The colours are softer, unlike his usual vibrant style but they capture my emotions and memories perfectly.

View of Table Mountain - Derric van Rensberg


My dear friend is also an artist and together we planned to each create a scene with the two of us walking into the distance among the spring flowers, out on the Westcoast.  She was going to create hers in oils and mine would be a textile piece. We intended call our dual pieces 'Time to Talk', which captured a precious time between friends with no distractions.   Unfortunately we never got around to it.

So for this final challenge in this series it was an easy choice for me. I have decided to finally create 'Time To Talk' using van Rensberg's work as my inspiration.

Farmscape - Derric van Rensberg

Time To Talk  Claire Passmore 2019

Hope you like it!

12 comments:

  1. You have done a lovely job and the special connection/story behind it makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you are early with your post Claire and I suddenly wondered if I had the dates wrong! Whatever... I really love this piece . The colours reflect Derric's love of orange/red, blue and green . You have created great perspective with the road going into the distance and disappearing with the 2 delightful figures making their way along it.I liked the fabric you used for the sky and wondered if you had painted some of the green bush on the sides of the road ? You must be delighted with this piece and how fortunate you are to own one of Derric's actual paintings to remind you of the beautiful Cape .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a nice story Claire. And how wonderful that you have so much to relate to when you look at this piece. You've captured his colours and his love of the land beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me in a five minute panic, thinking that I had muddled up my dates - until I read Rosemary's comment! I love your quilt and the story behind it: it must make it extra special for you.I think your friend would be pleased to know you'd made your textile. I love the colours, and orange and blue have always been favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story and piece of work. I too worried I had got the dates wrong, especially as I'm trying to finish my piece this week as I have jury service next week. You've got the blues and oranges just right - i just hope my piece lives up to Derric's work as well as yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apologies for my late comment but I purposely waited so that I could do it all in one go. Two boxes ticked in one, how lucky you are. Love the story and captured perfectly. Hope you have a place to display it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story of friendship with the added connection to creating art even though you would have worked in different mediums. I'm sure you are so pleased that you had the opportunity of being inspired by Derric seeing that you own one of his painting. It is a beautiful portrayal in that particular part of Cape Town. Your piece depicts exactly what you had planned to do so well and captured his colours and style. Congratulations of a very special piece of work on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Claire, I echo other comments about the story, the colours, the artist and your lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm terribly sorry I spooked a few of you by putting it up too soon - an error on my part, getting muddled up with dates.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful story and interpretation of it in your piece Claire. We often put off doing something that is important to us by thinking that there will be another opportunity..... but now you have your piece to remember your friend, as a tribute. ( I made an A4 piece after my Mom passed away a few years ago - it was a birthday cake with 95 on top. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Allison. Your birthday piece to celebrate your mum is a lovely idea.

      Delete
    2. You are so right Allison. Your birthday quilt to celebrate your mum is a lovely idea. Claire.

      Delete