Pages

Saturday 30 November 2019

St John river, NB

I enjoyed the colours in Derric's paintings so it was easy to use him as inspiration. 

At the end of September I went to New Brunswick, a province in eastern Canada, to take a week long course with Freeman Patterson and Andre Gallant.  Freeman's other "home" is in South Africa, in Namaqualand so some of you may have heard of him.  In fact it was during my time in SA that I did learn about him and his courses - a good 20 years ago! 

He has a property on Shamper's Bluff which overlooks the St John river and we spent a day roaming around taking pictures there. 

This is my original picture, and then the one I enhanced in Photoshop to resemble Derric's colours. 










and this is what I made but I haven't bound  it.  I can't decide whether to face it or bind it.  Always a dilemma. 


10 comments:

  1. A great interpretation Dianne using the enhanced colours to suit Derric's palette. He would approve. An interesting photo to have chosen with excellent perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on using one of your own images which is a perfect choice. I would face it. The flow of space and openness will be cut off with a binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous as it is - I would face it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you too used one of your own photos, and one a great one to choose. I had the same dilemma re facing or binding, and opted for the binding, and am very pleased with the effect. I felt the binding colour helped 'bind' the colours together between the foreground and the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, such a smart idea. Lovely piece. I like facing rather than binding, but that was before I read Linda's reply........

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way that you have used your own photo and enhanced it with the colour change. I'd go for the facing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colour enhancement - captured his love of intense colour perfectly. I wasn't brave enough to go that far. Great sense of the place. Hope you didn't bind it. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fact that you have chosen one of your own photos and made it fit in so well with Derric's work. The colour enhancement was a brilliant idea and it worked so well for you in this piece. A really interesting interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of one of your photos it's a lovely scene and you've interpreted it beautifully. I'd face it too, the scene feels open, so borders would close it in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Taking your photo and interpreting it into Derric's colors has worked so well. Beautiful piece Dianne. As someone said, the artist would be very pleased with your version.

    ReplyDelete