Pages

Friday 30 November 2018

Jean Lurcat Challenge

Allison Moorcroft



Abstract #1 Jean Lurcat








After selecting the “Nature Mort” picture from Google, I sketched it for myself and then never looked at it again until I was finished with my piece. I re-created the different elements and then put them together into my picture. A cluster of buttons represent the dark grapes. When the water was embroidered, I found a piece of blue hat–netting and so made use of it for extra texture in that area. I tried to get a watercolour effect on the ‘vase’.  Comparing the two pieces now, I think mine is too ‘controlled’ and his is more dramatic and wild!
 I can’t remember ever having done an ‘abstract’ piece before so it was interesting to say the least!

5 comments:

  1. It is harder to be not so controlled when working with fabric as apposed to paint, having said that great job. I battled with my first abstract, hence i avoid where possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've interpreted his piece very nicely Allison. I like the way you did the raw edge frame and the hand stitching and quilting which add depth. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea to make your own sketch first - it really makes you look and notice the small details. I also like the idea that you put away the original piece so as not to let it take over your own interpretation. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having gone through a similar process with our last challenge, I think our materials and techniques contribute to the controlled appearance of the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you've framed it Allison. I feel as though I'm looking through a window.

    ReplyDelete