Pages

Saturday 25 May 2013

Text'Art adventure

Here's a fun photo of some of our Montreal members, taken on a visit to a new museum in Montreal: the Museum of Costume and Textile. It is located on the lower floor of the Marché Bonsecours, in the historic neighbourhood where Linda F. lived during her years in Canada. The current exhibit features some forty "gala" dresses, some of them 150 years old, and many of them made by big-name designers: Dior, Schiaparelli, Patou and others. The work of local designers was also included.

Pam wasn't able to join us, but we were able to invite a Montreal member of SAQA, Rebekah Crown, whom Heather met when they attended the SAQA conference in Santa Fe. No doubt we will be seeing more of Rebekah in the months ahead.

We included a visit to la Guilde Graphique, a collective of Montreal printmakers, and walked along the cobbled streets to a new spot, the Avenue Gallery, to see a photography show by actor Dylan Macdermott. Dylan is the stepson of Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler, who has established the City of Joy as a refuge and clinic for women victimized by war in Africa. Dylan's photos focused on Masai tribespeople and others who have been sheltered at the City of Joy. The gallery itself was a treat, with its thick stone walls and a simple cafĂ© in the back. The get-together ended with a "trunk show" that was literally staged in the trunk of Heather's parked car. Another wonderful day of inspiration and friendship.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Colleen. Lovely to see you all 'posed' among the dresses!

    I would LOVE to have been with you when you visited the printmakers. This process has fascinated me for some time. Recently we had a BBC programme on a famous printmaker here in London, Norman Ackroyd.

    http://www.normanackroyd.com/

    He was such a wonderful person to interview, so genuine and sharing with his thoughts and his attitude to his work.

    I won't say anything about the trunk show...

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I posted the picture in 'drafts'. Heather did the wonderful account of our day. I am trying to learn how to blog from my iPad. I downloaded an app last night called Blogpress and tried to find my way around. I guess I got lost as I didn't mean to post the picture without Heather's permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, Colleen? There are things that happened just by themselves. I find using new technology and programmes quite scary. I have an android tablet and have no idea how to work it - touch screen is a whole new world and I am quite sure I would be sending out all sorts of wrong signals if I could get it to work. Good luck with your new app.

      I did see a presentation by Adobe about how their programmes can now almost at a click of a button prepare data for virtually all kinds of different media and formats - PC, Apple, android, tablets, phones, desktops, laptops, netbooks - you name it!

      I'm sure Heather will forgive you.

      Hilary

      Delete
  3. Great picture! Thanks for posting...this exhibit seems very special to be able to be so close to inspect these spectacular works of design and mastery...and then to share the experience with friends/fellow artists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazingly, we could walk right up to these unbelievably beautiful dresses and see them from all angles. I kept imagining myself wearing them to my daughters' weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen, I clicked Publish after I added the text to the photo, as you suggested. It published under your name because you opened the post. Lauma should get credit for tweaking the photo.

    ReplyDelete