Pages

Wednesday 29 February 2012

'Steps - a process'

‘Steps – a process.’

My original idea was to have different thermofax screens made depicting different types of staircases. I was then going to write words that came to mind on the subject, over the staircase and the whole piece. Circumstances prevented me from doing this.

Instead I started with a piece of muslin over which I printed in green and purple using stencils and found objects. I used green because it symbolizes generosity, renewal, inexperience and purple because it symbolizes spirituality, mystery, transformation and enlightenment. These two colors are appropriate for the theme of this piece.

The techniques used were stitch and painting. I started this piece before our last text’art workshop. Armed with new knowledge about color taught to us by Heather, I combined the green and the purple of the steps to give the wall color. The words on this piece were photocopied onto tissue paper and applied to the piece with a matte medium

11 comments:

  1. A perfect depiction of the theme Pam. Sometimes when our original ideas don't work out for whatever reason, it is for the best. I can really relate to the words you included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writing finishes the piece off beautifully .... it draws you in and up the stairs.I still need to work out the art of photocopied and applied tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the words are very effectively added on. Your bricks are wonderful - you've produced great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words Pam. As it really is a process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very meaningful piece Pam. I think your shading of the steps is very successful in suggesting their volume and rough-hewn quality.

      Delete
  5. I can honestly say that this picture does not do this piece justice as it is so artistically brilliant (I may be a little biased :) )
    I love how the white fabric still shows on the steps which allows one to imagine the moon light shining down on the steps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your techniques and color really resonate with the "climb" of life! Each step builds on a prior step to elevate us onto new experiences and challenges. I love the color contrasts and the words that "disappear" at either end of the piece...no beginning and no end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very thoughtful piece, Pamela. I love the texture and colours you have achieved. I think this could be taken further in another piece.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew this was yours Pam the moment I saw it. You have a genius for displaying texture and detail, with meaning, via the simplest compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Envy! I too had thought of steps as process but could not for the life of me capture the connection visually. I'd love to see this in the flesh - those steps look like real stone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing - your realism and the way you have constructed the steps together with the words bring it together so well. I want to just step into the work and start climbing the steps to see where they lead! I love it.

    ReplyDelete