Pages

Thursday 11 August 2011

Three Small Pieces

To prepare for next week's workshop, I have made three 5 x 7's for a local fundraiser. I have been inspired by an article by Jennifer Solon in the recent issue of Quilting Arts. Jennifer uses fabric and paper collage on a black felt backing, stitches the layers together, applies medium to the surface, then applies paint, wiping off some with a rag, sometimes using stencils and stamps.The first piece uses a photo from Provence and another of an angel in a Montreal cemetery, both applied with TAP to my mashed-potato-resist fabric. Paint and a white water-soluble crayon followed.
The second uses a TAP transfer of an image from Tuscany. The Venus was ink-jet printed on plain brown paper, crumpled and ironed. A strip of embossed wallpaper, paint and crayon were added.

The third uses ink-jet images from Sicily, printed on rice papers, then painted.

In the same theme, I have also made three 12 x 12's, mounted on gesso'd canvas, one of which might well serve as a Fragments piece. I'm looking forward to getting guidance about composition and value contrast at next week's tutorial. Meanwhile, I'm excited to have found an approach that allows me to combine collage and stitch.

3 comments:

  1. Very mysterious Heather. I look forward to seeing them in person at the workshop. So glad that rice paper has been printable for you as it seems to lend itself to collage and the techniques you are using.Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks wonderful - mystical, magical and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Heather, especially the 3rd one. I so admire the way you try many techniques and make them your own.

    ReplyDelete