Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Life Fragmented by Ovarian Cancer

Teal is the color of Ovarian Cancer.

This summer has been especially difficult for me as my youngest sister, Audra, passed away from Ovarian Cancer. She was just 43 years old. She leaves behind a 9 year old son, Grayson, a wonderful husband, Greg, plus 8 siblings and many, many who loved her. Cancer creates fragmented lives by destroying dreams and families.

In making this quilt, I wanted to continue to challenge myself by using a new technique. This is a freezer paper piecing technique that I learned from Cynthia England. This 12" X 12"piece has more than 250 pieces! The images at the bottom of the quilt are of Audra chasing Grayson on a beach in California. I transferred these images using Transfer Artist Paper (TAP) pressed through chiffon onto the quilt.

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to learn of Audra's death. Of course she is constantly in your thoughts. A poignant tribute to a young life, shattered by a terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear of the death of your sister - why does it always feel so unfair when someone dies young? I love this piece, and applaud your use of Cynthia England's techniques. I've always admired her work, and have read a book about how she makes her quilts, but I've never had the courage to try it. Too many small pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very brave of you your interpretation of the theme and so real and close to many peoples hearts and also brave the technique used as Linda says ....too many small pieces. A great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly so true, Venetta. Cancer shatters lives. Those shards speak volumes - hurt, pain, dreams blown apart.

    Not an easy piece to make but I hope it has helped you. Remember the good times - like that lovely moment on the beach.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done a wonderful job of fragmenting the ribbon and casting the pieces about your piece. And I like how you softened the use of TAP paper.
    It creates a poignant shadow of your sister. I'm sorry to hear about her death. A doctor here in Montreal is making strides in trying to come up with a simple diagnostic test for ovarian cancer - I hope she succeeds one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad that this theme should have such a personal interpretation and how well you have executed the work. We have become familiar with the symbolic use of the ribbon but the shards and the image at the bottom make this a very personal reminder of the impact of this disease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the loss of your sister.I know that you will be glad to have it as one of the happy memories when you have her in your thoughts. The softness conveyed in the photo is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful tribute to your sister. I wish you and your family all the best with the healing process. xoxo

    ReplyDelete