Pages

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Amish Connections


This piece celebrates my connection to my quilting past and the Amish quilters whose work first captured my interest and lit my passion for quilting more than 20 years ago. Amish quilts were my first love, and the colours still make my heart sing. I strip pieced, sewed together, cut apart and resewed strips left over from other projects which I couldn't bear to throw away. Then I photographed my hand, sewing, and bobbin stitched it from the back. I thought I had reversed the image, but I guess I got it wrong, because I am not left-handed, but oh well. Then I freely quilted a loopy feather based on an antique quilt pattern from my collection. Voila!

3 comments:

  1. Amish roots? Your ancestors would be so proud that you are carrying forward such an important expression of color and design! What a connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely twist to the Amish traditional quilt, Helena - so contemporary and the hand sewing is the cherry on top of the cake, together with the feather quilting. Great interpretation.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete