Pages

Thursday 30 November 2017

Zoom!


I love Escher, but found this challenge totally overwhelming. Luckily I love a challenge, so thank you Venetta. There was also lots of sides to him I was totally unaware of, so researching has been most fun.

It took me a long time finding inspiration, and I would look daily at his art, being at a loss of what to do.

Then only last week I came across my source material (plenty of time then) in the form of what I think is an installation, from an Escher exhibition in Madrid. I am not sure he made it, it looks too modern, but it is clearly inspired by him. So my quilt will be inspired by, inspired by!

It was a joy to make, using the ‘flip and stitch’ method. 


Zoom!

From the Madrid Escher exhibition

In my studio yesterday busy with Zoom!

Bring on the next challenge! Note to self: Do not procrastinate so much ;0)


10 comments:

  1. This a great interpretation of your inspiration piece! And what a studio you have Mai-Britt! Thanks for showing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Isn't it amazing what can sometimes come right at the last minute? I love the inspiration photo and the humorous touch of the footprints in the bottom right on the 'stairs'. Inspired by, inspired by... but look what it inspired. Great piece, Mai-Brit.

    And now I am going to totally drool over your studio! What an amazing space. I have turned a distinct shade of green.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the way you have constructed this piece and it really makes an impact. You have simplified the construction so beautifully and made it your own. Well done. Love your studio - what a wonderful space in which to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done and I love the big installation too. And your studio! Thanks for sharing that shot. Actually, why don't we all post a photo of ourselves in our studios?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love simples - I think could easily be sub-titled 'Essence of Escher'! And do you control Zoom remotely or is there a hidden hand at work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remote control, Linda, must keep up with the times.........

      Delete
  6. Wow! Good choice in inspiration piece. Love what has transpired. Great impact.
    My studio is a shoe box in comparison. Also green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Optical illusionary works obviously fascinated Escher who believed that infinity is endless .By cleverly placing the blue square in the middle of your piece you allow our imaginations to think about infinity which may lie behind it . Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this, but I don't think I can add anything that anyone hasn't already said. Yes, I am jealous of your studio too (it's 10°C in my tiny space under the roof that I call my studio at the moment, and can reach the upper 30's °C on a hot day in summer. Only usable in the autumn and spring!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the graphic contrast of black and white...your artistic tilting and adding a blue center really puts your piece on par with Escher's delight of infinity. Actually, I did not notice the blue center until Rosemary pointed it out...you totally nailed that optical illusion!!

    Thank you for sharing your studio pic...definitely an artist's dream space!!

    ReplyDelete