Pages

Tuesday 1 September 2020

The library???

 My first thought was panic but this was quickly replaced by thoughts about a potential source of inspiration - one to be explored before committing to publically!

Then I remembered a "library" created many years ago for a dear friend. At the time I belonged to a round robin group of seven friends and we went through the usual styles of round robins before breaking out and making our own rules. This friend invited us to each make a bookshelf  which she added to to make this bookcase. I'm not embarrassed to admit that given my friends antipathy to dusting I made the shelf with the, now faded, polish spray and duster lingering amongst the books.

What Will You Put on My Bookcase?
​by Margaret Menzies

2 comments:

  1. Linda B this is wonderful. Lots of humour which you don't naturally associate with libraries. I know they are changing from the ultra quiet places with stern librarians hushing everybody - thank goodness. There is something special about a library though - I remember the awe and reverence I felt going into the British Library the first time. The sheer number of books and ancient manuscripts, etc, etc - wow!

    The more you think about the subject, the more potential there is. Thanks, Dianne. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stern librarians?! I haven't worked in libraries for nearly 30 years now since I came to France, but my colleagues and I never hushed anyone in the reference libraries in which I worked, though we did have to ask some people to be a little quieter on very rare occasions when they disturbed other users. We were also on occasion humorous too! This topic has had me reminiscing about the various jobs that I had, and the various buildings in which I worked. I have an idea what I could use as a subject. I am looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete