Pages

Tuesday 1 September 2020

The Library

 Over the millennia libraries have been built to store knowledge and in later years, to share that knowledge on a wider basis.  These buildings were important within each society and in current times they are also considered an important place for people to meet and learn and exchange ideas.  As a result they were often built as very impressive buildings.  Or not.  Some are just small log cabins - whatever works in the locale.  

We have all been to libraries, our own and as visitors to others.  I'm partly influenced by a virtual reality "movie" of Great libraries of the world that I watched and I can't seem to  now find a link to it.  But I do see that Harvard has a virtual tour of their library which is quite interesting.  

I hope you have fun with this. 

7 comments:

  1. A new twist on the architecture theme. As a librarian I appreciate it, though I haven't a clue what I can do yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmh, I like it. As a great believer in the accessibility of knowledge whether in physical or virtual libraries, my mind is starting to whirr...

    Haha, an architect for me last time, and a library theme for a librarian (Jinnie) this time.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought are you serious or are you having a laugh. Just been on YouTube and watched a few clips on the best, the most beautiful and biggest libraries of the world and I am now breathing normally. Going to be very interesting. So much out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It threw me at first too Phil, but then when I thought about it - great idea! I visited the library in Alexandria several years ago and that was an amazing building. Lots of food for thought. I even thought of making it from old catalogue cards............. Maybe???? Maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved visiting libraries, and our daughter even visited a library on her hen weekend in Dublin! There's some fantastic buildings out there - I can recommend the Birmingham City library for a visit, also a small residential library in north Wales. I'm looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited about this theme. I immediately had an idea which has been superseded by two other good ones. Thinking this last idea is the one. Let's see.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, this is going to be very interesting....... Something quite different. Will have to look around the world. I wonder where the oldest one in South Africa is? - surely Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete