Pages

Tuesday 1 September 2020

Westmount Square

 I can't believe I got this finished before the end of the day!!  My eyes are crossed from sewing all the lines.  And it's not quite finished - it needs a back and a border.  I use an iron on fleece on which I quilt and sew/embroider directly.  And I haven't decided whether more squiggly lines would be good in the sky.  I was trying for a more organic contrast to the straight lines. 


The building was completed in 1967 just in time for our Expo 67.  If you would like to read a bit about it Heather has done a nice post which is in June .   I found most of Mies's buildings very stark, and rather boring.  I know he designed chairs, a few of which are in this building's lobby.  I didn't see  his Barcelona Pavillion  in my search and which obviously held a lot more interest.  


I've based my quilt on a photo off the internet.  I had quite a few that I had taken, but now seem to have lost.  I liked the fact that one building was reflected in the other.  





10 comments:

  1. Brilliant threadwork Dianne . I can quite understand that you must have felt cross eyed by the end but you must have been delighted with the outcome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great result and well done on all that stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - so simple and yet full of lines. I would say no to more quilting in the sky - I think the contrast between the spaces work and the building might get lost if you added too many more lines elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Linda - more lines will just create confusion - at the moment the contrast enhances both sets of lines. I love your choice for this piece, simple and clear, just like MvdR and the way you have executed perfectly shows the elegant lines. Well done - that stitching must have been really difficult to keep straight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Striking piece, Dianne. Very clever interpretation of the reflections crossing over. It is just lines but what a story they tell. 'No' to any more wavy lines in the sky - the contrast is perfect. I think MvdR would have approved of the 'less is more' approach some took. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stunning piece Dianne using the lines as you have is just perfect. This is a very bold and interesting piece of work and one to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to sketch something using a similar image, but ended up wth a mess of lines that were confusing. Yours is really successful and I love the way it is simple and complex at the same time. I can understand why you feel cross eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you have done here and agree with all above that leaving the sky alone is the best plan contrasting the open expanse of the sky with the busy-ness of the city. I have a guilty secret and now use the Netflix series 'Suits' as my brain switch off time. The exterior of their building has a great overlapping reflection too... apparently it is the Bay Adelaide West, a 51-storey skyscraper in Toronto’s financial district.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Mies would approve - simple but very effective! I agree that it needs nothing more though had you wanted a softer more contrasting cloud line, which would mean starting again (!), I'd look at the halo effect of the change in sky colour around the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very effective and clear use of lines - what a challenge! I think I would have done some embroidery in the sky - to contrast with all those lines! Very neatly done too.

    ReplyDelete