Pages

Friday 17 April 2020

NY Art Deco Inspiration

Seeing Claire's post made me realise that I could share my inspiration without giving anything away - there's no lino carving involved, that's for sure. I love the results of lino prints but need a lot more skill to be able to achieve the standard I'd like.

Ironically I anticipated that March and April would be very busy months for me so rather than dithering around and testing ideas I went with the first idea I thought of and was almost done before lockdown hit us here in the UK. Usually the deadline needs to be on a very close horizon before I get started.

I too love the curves on the Chrysler building, but I'm saving those for when I have time to develop a larger piece. After lots of searching I found this door at 7500 Bay Parkway, Brooklyn Photo - David Cobb Craig: Art Deco Doors in New York City. I understand that the building is now derelict but I knew that I could use those curves - and I have!

7500 Bay Parkway, Brooklyn - David Cobb Craig: Art Deco Doors in New York City



4 comments:

  1. Great inspiration Linda. I thought that I would have mine practically done by now, but somehow time seems to go by each day and it isn't done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find this one when I was searching for images, and I can understand why you chose it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THey are lovely aren't they. I hope they were salvaged before the building became derelict. Looking forward to seeing your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic windows! Time to start hunting for images.

    ReplyDelete