Pages

Friday 17 April 2020

Lockdown in France


We have been in lockdown now for four and a half weeks and have at least three and a half weeks to go. I am used to being at home most of the time, but I found myself at first nonplussed, not just because of the situation, but also because I had to adjust to my space having been invaded by my husband and children during the daytime. As a result I couldn’t do anything the first couple of weeks. We are very lucky in that we have a small garden and our housing estate is in a quiet area (apart from the Paris-Lyon motorway which is 200 metres from our house, but which is a bit quieter thanks to the lockdown), so we are able to go out for our authorised one hour walk within a kilometre of home, in the meadow between our houses and the motorway and through the passageways that link the roads on our estate.  It is in part thanks to this I’ve been able to start working again. I have been watching the video tutorials on Sketchbook Revival (https://www.karenabend.com/schedule-2020/ until 26th April). I tried Karen Stamper’s tutorial ‘How wild is your garden? Drawing and mark making in black and white’ https://www.karenabend.com/sketchbook-revival/st-en/, and here is the result:




It’s not extraordinary, but has helped me to find the urge to do something, and I plan to do some more. I took photographs of the silhouettes of the leafless trees and their bark whilst out on my walks, and I am planning to do drawings in black and white and see what comes from that.
   Another thing that I have been doing, not every day, but most days, is a small four inch square, playing around with scraps with no plan in mind. I started doing this when I read an article in a recent Quilting Arts about Liz Kettle and the ‘stitch meditations’ that she does, which she explains in her video here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lizkettle&view=detail&mid=0CCE2E527F179D09C0F20CCE2E527F179D09C0F2&FORM=VIRE
I liked the idea and decided to try it.





I have enjoyed doing it, especially as I have no expectations about the results: some are not very interesting, but others have sparked an interest in taking an idea further. I have particularly enjoyed playing with transparent fabrics, and with the flimsy cotton net bags that our local supermarket puts organic lemons and clementines in. The latter I twisted into cords and couched down.

5 comments:

  1. I saw that article in the Quilting Arts magazine and also like the idea of making these small squares. However, unlike you , I haven't started creating any as I am doing a challenge quilt for our Auckland Guild show in early November . Hopefully the world will be back to some normality by then . We are also in lockdown here but do go walking close to home each day . Keeps one sane doesn't it ? One of the advantages of lockdown is MORE sewing time - wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, saw the article and vaguely thought it would be an interesting exercise....... That's about as far as it got. We're just finishing our 5th week of isolation. Our daughter flew in from the Netherlands - with a broken leg, and had to quarantine for 2 weeks and as we're both over 70 (in age, not in body or mind) we were advised not to live with her so we spent 2 weeks at the cottage. We walk every day and I've been doing some quilting. I may be getting into mask production. Our guild has made about 5000 (I think it's a lot by a very small number of people) for 2 of our hospitals, palliative care, and now nursing homes. Whew! Take care everyone and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have as much time for sewing as usual, but I am the queen of procrastination, and spend more time thinking about designing/sewing and really have to find ways of getting round my inner procrastinator, which is where these squares have been useful.

      Delete
  3. They look great Jinnie. I like your mark making - it has so much rich texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too find it hard to work if there is someone else around - I refused to let my husband move his computer into my studio when he had to relocate his office while the building work is ongoing. I love the idea of stitch mediation - it reminded me of Rayna Gilman who advocates having a pile of fabric strips handy, and every time life gets too much, just sit and sew strips together. No plan, just pull strips out randomly and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete