Pages

Tuesday 3 December 2019

Poppies Galore

So sorry this is late but here goes.


Back this summer there were several wonderful fields of bright red poppies in our area.  This one was a few miles away and I took several photos - climbing over gates and fences and getting thoroughly covered in seeds and weeds!  All worth the hassle.  My piece is a combination of a couple of photos because I loved the Queen Anne's Lace in the foreground ere but in another I was in amongst the red poppies.

Now, I have done a silly thing (too many projects on my mind) and made my piece 20" x 16"!  I am 'fessing up'.  Here's the full piece...
Poppies Galore

And here's my submission...
Poppies Galore - square

I am  mostly happy with it and maybe after Christmas I will play some more with it to accentuate the QA Lace heads.  I did think of adding the plants using white acrylic paint on the edge of a credit card - very slightly smudged to create that van Rensburg look of his animal heads.  I will try this on a another piece.  The stems are cord couched down.

Hilary





10 comments:

  1. I think I prefer the closer cropped version 😀and what's 4" between friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the 4".... It sits better rectangular in shape. The Queen's Anne's lace is perfect. Not sure paint would have been an option as it can come across quite flat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I prefer the cropped version, but it's difficult to say as our computer screen distorts squares into rectagles (it also makes people look fatter!) since there was a windows update a couple of years ago. Your extra 4" gives you some practice for the new series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really vibrant piece and I like both the square and rectangular formats . Red and green are such intense opposites and always look wonderful together. I like the way you have used simple strips to create the poppies which are enhanced by the Queen Anne's lace in the foreground. Well done for a very imaginative art work .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Rosemary. both versions work well. And as someone who nearly made a piece 20" square when I came back after my sabbatical I can understand getting the measurements confused. Is Queen Anne's lace the same as cow parsley?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, just noticed I'm still on sabbatical according to the list on the blog. Can I change this or do you need to do it??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this as you could have made it very complicated but by simplifying it as you have done with solid colour really makes it stand out with the Queen Anne's lace softening it in the foreground. I am always so amazed to see how each one of us "sees" things differently and produces such stunning pieces of art, so thank you Hilary I really love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you interpreted your photograph. It's a lovely piece. I think I like both formats. The square one gives more emphasis to the Queen Anne's Lace though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous as ever! I love the panorama. Your piece really emphasises the sheer expansé of the poppies in the lands. For that reason I prefer the original wider piece. I like the way you have broken into the expanse of redness with the simple addition of thin bands of green. It gives the impression of the field without being too heavy handed. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely piece Hilary. By sewing bands of red and green you have clearly shown the fields of your photos without getting 'specific'. The touch of Queen Anne's Lace gives it a delicate touch too.

    ReplyDelete