Pages

Sunday 15 December 2019

An introduction and a thank you

I am surprised at how challenging I have found making this introduction to be. It has made me stop and think long and hard about who am I in the creative sense, what it is I do, where I see my creative journey taking me and what are my motivations for accepting the invitation to join your group - 12 By the Dozen.

The fact that I am posting as 'creativitylifestyle' gives me a starting point. I had forgotten I had set up with that name years ago. Seeing it now feels strangely reassuring. It tells me that, despite living a life characterised by change, there is one constant and that is, my working towards a lifestyle that is informed by creativity in some form or another. It is no surprise that I had forgotten 'creativitylifestyle' as I am forever having new ideas, trying to set some structure and direction to my life and then, well, getting distracted and, inevitably, heading off in another direction. This is reflected in the creative interests I have had - painting, pastels, weaving, painting on fabric, embroidery, bags, boro, clothing, quilting, applique, bojagi. Each time I learn something new I think, 'This is it! This is what I was put on this earth to do!' But then something else comes along. I'm not sorry about this because there is a benefit to not settling on one thing - learning different techniques and building up a good supply of all the necessary notions, equipment and fabric!

Other than a bit of sewing and art at school, I hadn't been really creative until I went to uni in my 30s and ended up doing my master's thesis in Social Anthropology focusing on a quilting group in Auckland. I was moved to do this because I had witnessed the transformative role that quilting had played in my mother's life. Spending a year with the group, I became a quilter myself for a time. That then lead to trying other arts and crafts, some mentioned above.

I live on the Gold Coast, Australia but I am selling my apartment and likely moving over the border to Lismore in northern NSW. This is a smaller town and has a very strong creative community that I am looking forward to becoming part of just as I am looking forward to becoming part of the 12 By the Dozen online community. I saw your works of textile art at the NZ Quilt Symposium in October and was very impressed and now, well, somewhat nervous about accepting your invitation. It is so easy to compare ourselves to others and feel that we fall short but I will resist doing that and instead, embrace the opportunity, look forward to being inspired by creative others and have some parameters to work within to force my creative self to flourish.

I can't promise that my work will be the most joyful - I am feeling overwhelmed by the decimation of our natural environment in Australia as a result of the drought, fires and 'development'. I love taking photos of flora and fauna with the intention of painting the image and then translating it into a textile form. I do this to celebrate nature but I now also want to use my art to draw attention to the ways in which we are affecting its beauty, abundance and ultimately, its survival. Let's see what I come up with.

I have set up a Facebook page and Instagram where I am, slowly but surely, recording work I have done both past and present. You can find me @artcraftsamanda.

Well, that is probably more than enough! It just remains for me to say a big thank you to Rosemary for putting my name forward and to the group for inviting me to join. I am looking forward to meeting you all in this forum and would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2020!

Amanda


8 comments:

  1. Welcome Amanda. I look forward to getting to know you and your work. I hope your move goes well and that the fires abate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are going to fit right in, Amanda. I'm a firm believer in adding as many 'tools' to your technique belt as possible - you never know when they might come in handy!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the group Amanda, I look forward to seeing your first piece next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very big welcome. It was lovely reading your intro and can't wait to see your contributions to the group. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amanda and welcome. I look forward to getting to know you better and to seeing your work.
    Good luck with your move, sounds like a whole new adventure is waiting for you!
    Best wishes
    Claire
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the group Amanda. Your intro was really interesting and it looks as if you have so much to offer to our group and I also look forward to seeing your work. Good luck with your move and all the best for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome from me too. Wonderful intro and I look forward to seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Amanda. I'm sure you will enjoy being part of the group and, as you see, everyone is very keen to see what you will show us next year. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete