Pages

Friday 28 June 2019

Explosion in a jam factory


   When I first saw Mary Pratt's work I was amazed by photo-like quality of her works and the skill  involved. However, I found it  difficult to find inspiration in her subjects and spent a lot of time wondering how I was going to tackle it. One thing I was attracted to was the glowing colour in this photo of the jars of jam.





I decided to use explore that and included 'bubbles' inspired by the decoration on the glass jars. I used some cold wax, which I bought nearly 30 years ago and never got round to using, to make the bubbles on  pieces of hand dyed lemon cotton and organza at the same time, which I then overdyed with gradations of orange and red. I had wanted the edges to be a little darker, more of a plum colour, but it came out more of a dried blood colour. The hand seed quilting took forever, which is why this is so late. I had thought that I'd started it in plenty of time, but despite quilting almost every day until yesterday, it took a lot longer. My apologies for the lateness.

 

9 comments:

  1. I forgot to add that the bubbles don't stand out as much as I like and I wish that I had trapuntoed (is that a verb?!) them first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. trapunto, trapuntas, trapuntat, trapuntamus, trapuntatis, trapuntant. Wouldn't it be good if that was true!
    So glad you completed your stitch marathon - it look great - and very marmeladish. (I love marmelade and your marmelade interpretation).
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking more apricot, raspberry and plum: I hate marmelade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jinnie. I think you've captured the light beautifully. I was thinking crab apple jelly - it has that beautiful red/yellow colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care whether it is marmalade or apricot or raspberry, it is wonderful and the thought of an explosion in a jam factory has me smiling. Worth the wait, Jinnie, your colours glow.

    You can always add trapunto - carefully make a slit in the back, stuff, slipstitch closed and if you want, applique a patch over the slit ('back art'?). I have done this myself before.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering whether to try that, but I suspect it will be a while before I get round to it!

      Delete
  6. Your chosen colours for your interpretation of the jam jars is perfect and you definitely managed to get the 'glow '. I couldn't quite get the wax technique but however you did that it certainly worked !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waxed the two fabrics together (the silk organza on top of the cotton, the wax passing easily through the silk to the cotton ) so that the circles were in the same place. Then I applied the dye. The cold wax washes out easily afterwards.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete