Pages

Wednesday 28 February 2018

Lundstrom meets Gascoigne

I really enjoyed being introduced to Vilhelm Lundstrøm. I love his flat colours and use of negative space, but once again I struggled with interpreting one of the images I liked in fabric. As I was looking through the catalogue of his work I came across his crate series. 






I didn't particularly like these pieces but they did put me in mind of the work of Australian artist Rosalie Gasgoine whose work I do like. 

The fabric was coloured as one piece. Serendipity created additional marks as I used an old quilt as a printing pad!  Once coloured I ripped the fabric into squares and bonded it to the background, additional marks, stenciled text and minimal stitch completed the piece.

10 comments:

  1. Love your piece of fabric & again clever use of bringing in the text.Did you work on a solid & then chop it up.The naive stitching just completes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great interpretation that strays far from the original. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Linda! I love the use of Rosalie's work to interpret Lundstrøm. And you've used grays and white and a touch of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again I have to agree with the previous comments - so great to see an interpretation that strays far from the original, a simple and calm design.
    Ps. you are forgiven the carpet background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have managed so well to keep the simplicity of Lundstroms style but at the same time made it intriguing with the fabric, the lettering ,and squares . Did you fuse the squares onto another piece of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - super, Linda. I too love Rosalie's work. Another powerful piece from you. What do you do up at these retreats that inspire such pieces???

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panic! I arrived with an idea and the materials to carry it through and started on Tuesday morning.

      Delete
  7. This is such a different take on his work and you have brought it together with the colours and letters - everything came together so well. I am also intrigued as to whether you cut it up before or after you had done the design - either way it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, had seen his slabs and other works and although I liked his paintings felt more drawn to these. But never would have thought of this kind of interpretation, well done!

    ReplyDelete