Pages

Monday 20 December 2010

Happy holidays!

Hi All - the image you see is a small part of a quilt for a client who Helena referred to me a long while back. The client is a fan of the art of John William Baker, an engineer who lived in Quebec and made art in his free time. The client wanted me to interpret a piece of Baker's art into a king size bed quilt. The quilt is complete. It was superbly quilted by Colleen. Although I did not like the design at all, nor was I thrilled to embark on this project, I must say it has been exciting and creative and I have learned a fortune. The client and the artist's daughter are coming on Thursday to collect it - so do not breathe a word until then please Helena or anyone else who may know him.

Happy holidays to all of you. May you enjoy happy and safe times with your loved ones which will provide you with warm memories that will last for many years to come!

5 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued by this "small part" of the quilt. What does the rest of it look like? What techniques did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. quilt is 7 rectangles accross, 6 down. traced original art work onto a transparency. ironed steam a seam onto 1" strips. made each rectangle slightly different from the next by slightly moving the transparency and then placing the strips in place. i then ironed them on. colleen then quilted each strip with 3 rows of stitching and stippled the green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, my lips are sealed. I wish we could see the whole quilt. I vaguely remember the art on which it is based, and remember that it was a real challenge. Congratulations on your achievement! Wow. I'm sure the client will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, it's an amazing piece. I would love to see it close up to see the fabrics. Is there a gradation of colour across the quilt or is it the lighting? I can imagine it will take centre stage in their bedroom!

    Congrats on getting a commision - everyone's dream.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam!! Is this THE piece? LOL.

    Wishing you a wonderful end of the year and an even better year ahead for all of you. Hugs to the family and a special hug for Tiks, as always!
    love,
    R.

    ReplyDelete