Pages

Sunday 14 November 2010

Open Studio


I have been asked to hold an Open Studio for the Friends of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, June 1. Forty or so people will arrive on a tour bus. They will also visit a couple of historic homes (Greenwood and Maison Trestler), the Vaudreuil Historical Museum, and the studio of a local painter, Rita Shellard.

I am delighted of course. The catch is that after Christmas I will be moving my studio from its current ground floor location. I plan to take over two of the kids' bedrooms, now that they have moved out, knocking down the wall between them. I will have wet and dry areas, a kitchen sink, and a computer corner with a scanner. The furniture, lighting, display boards and storage units will all be moved upstairs too. I hope this will allow me to work bigger and more efficiently. At this point, my storage has spilled over to the linen closet, and I frequently conscript the large table in the family room for wet work.
Here you can see how I use the bath tub for storage of canvases, stretcher bars and big rolls.

If you have advice for me at this stage, I would love to hear it. Have ordered some backissues of Cloth Paper Scissors' Studio magazine. Maybe you could post some photos of your workspace and we could have a virtual studio tour!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds as though you are going to have a wonderful studio- and a wonderful time planning it. If you have a fixed counter make sure you put an electrical outlet in it. For heating up your soy wax etc. And an idea that I liked in Caryl B-F's studio was a black and white 12" tile floor for squaring up things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't agree more with dianne. day and night time task and general lighting is vital

    ReplyDelete