Ancient Shells: Ammonites
I enjoyed this challenge. I decided to use a subject that I have used twice before for this group. One day last winter we had a lot of snow, so I was able to try snow dying for the first time. I had some successful pieces, including some old cotton sheet and silk organza that were just right for this quilt. I cut a lino block in the shape of the ammonite, using it to print on the cotton, then overlayed it with the dyed organza. I struggled to hand quilted the shells, finding it difficult to pass the needle through the fabric. It wasn't until I lost my needle and had to use a new one when doing the seed stitch background, that I realised that the problem must have been a blunt needle!
The other two quilts that I made for the group are the following:
I'm sorry that my quilt is late, but it has been very stressful couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful. I’m very intrigued about snow dying though and will have to look this up! Several people at the Festival of Quilts were talking about ice dying so I guess they’re similar processes. I’d completely forgotten about it until seeing this which has reminded me to search for the process.
DeleteI love the fabric and the hand quilting is so intricate.
I just watched a youtube video, but until last winter there was never enough snow, and what there was didn't last long! The ice dying is exactly the same process, but we haven't a freezer, so making enough ice cubes is a problem.
DeleteJinnie you are so amazing in the way you find such different ways to portray our challenges. I am so intrigued with the fact that you have used snow dying, which would be impossible in Africa! No snow here but this winter has been so freezing cold I can't wait for spring and summer which are just around the corner. Your shell piece is really lovely and inspiring and your quilting just so great. Love your design, so well done on all fronts.
ReplyDeleteThank you Patricia. I would gladly swap your freezing cold for our upper 30s° heat, and no rain for two months. I hate summer and am looking forward to winter!
ReplyDeleteI would gladly swap the cold weather for our heat too. Yesterday it reached 38 degrees where we live and that was the hottest day of the year. We have now had about 6 weeks of extreme heat and no rain - and in the UK we don’t have air con in our homes. It’s been unbearable.
ReplyDeleteLoe your shells Jinnie! The quilting is so well suited as well! One day I am also going to do snow dying, not sure where I shall find the snow :-)
ReplyDeleteI was lucky with the snow as we have had very little the past few year. It was four inches deep on the garden table, though it didn't last long! If I hadn't thought of trying it when I first saw it, I wouldn't have been able to do so an hour or so later.
ReplyDelete