Pages

Sunday 30 June 2024

A GENTLE GIANT

 


Whole cloth, sketched, sandwiched, stitched and then dyed.  In the dyeing process I used a very large tray keeping the piece (A4) flat as I did not want a uniform colour. Interesting that I was able to, with the use of the stitching, keep the dye mostly away from the tusks. I did go in with Derwent sticks just to enhance areas where needed. 

The process of adding dyes after completing your piece I first saw many years ago by a Textile artist, June Barnes (Hilary correct me if I have her name wrong).  She did an amazing piece which was a study of bottles.  

6 comments:

  1. Love this piece Phil. What a very clever idea of stitching the design and then dying it. Well done on keeping the tusks much lighter. You were very brave but a very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gentle giant! Great dye technique and the quilting so beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to sign my comment Phil ! Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your giant. You were very brave dyeing it after all that work and not losing the white. I wasn't so lucky when I tried the same technique a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you were VERY brave, but it paid off really well. I have no idea how you kept the tusks white. Clever idea to use a dye bath to get the variations in tones. He's a veritable gentle giant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No idea why Google is not using my name. Hilary

    ReplyDelete