Pages

Monday 11 July 2022

The Islamic Museum of Art


 I was inspired by the Islamic Museum of Art on a man-made island in Doha, Qatar, designed by the 91-year-old I.M. Pei - whose work on the glass pyramid in the Louvre, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., and the Bank of China Building in Hong Kong have long been world-famous. As one of the most successful architects of the 20th century, I.M. Pei says that the Islamic Museum of Art will be his last major cultural building.



I.M. Pei said if we say we have found the core of Islamic architecture, shouldn't it be located in the desert, with a solemn and simple design and sunlight to revive the form?

This is also the main point of my work!


At the beginning, I chose the colors commonly seen in the desert as the background, and the theme was to use different colors of lines to present the simplicity of the building and the changes of light and shadow in a pressed cotton way. However, due to the lack of threads, I couldn't present the feeling I wanted...

After a long time of trouble, I suddenly had an idea and used the color pen on the table to trace the appearance of the building, and found that it worked well!



I was a bit dissatisfied with the result that I couldn't imagine at the beginning, but I still stick to my initial beliefs - simplicity, light and shadow changes.

 

   Momo

8 comments:

  1. You've captured the essence of this building well Momo. I see your initial beliefs clearly so, although it may not have been your original intention, the design works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the simplicity of your quilt Momo. Even if you didn't succeed with your initial idea, it still works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Momo. It is simple, solemn and light. I had to look really close to see how you achieved the different colours - very clever. You may be slightly disappointed, but the effect is perfect. The frame is perfect. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your summary - simplicity, light and shadows. It seems to sum up your piece, and Islamic architecture perfectly. And looking at the building through a gateway also works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the simplicity of your design which works so well. Sometimes we make things too complicated and lose the essence of what we want to achieve. I think you have really produced a very effective piece of work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting brings out the design so well. Simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thought behind your choice of work and yes it has worked. I too often use my coloured pencils over the stitching to enhance my pieces. Very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the late comment Momo. It is hard to say anything different than the above comments. I will echo Dianne and say simply - 'Simple and elegant.'

    ReplyDelete