Pages

Thursday 7 July 2022

Alhambra Doorway

 




   The subject for one of the modules of my ill-fated City and Guilds patchwork was  'floors, walls, windows and doors'.  I have never been to the Alhambra in Grenada, but was fascinated by the architecture of the building, so the next best option was borrowing a book from the library for the drawings of various architectural features of which  this doorway was one.



   One of the exercises that I had to do led to this collage, which I have thought about using for a design, but have never got round to. This challenge was the chance to use it.




    I found some lovely handprinted Indian block print fabrics and used those to to represent the carved details round the doorway, making another mock-up of the design at half size using photocopies of the fabrics, so that I could be sure that the designs fitted. I didn't have large amounts of the fabrics and was worried about making a mistake when fussy cutting them.





   The drawing represents the Court of the Myrtles, but I don't know whether the original doorway leads to it. I used inktense to colour the drawing.















6 comments:

  1. It is very difficult to see the stitching on the photographs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Jinnie. Your fabric choices are absolutely perfect. It all comes together so well. It must have been difficult deciding on the quilting without altering the fabric patterns. I have been to the Alhambra but many years ago so thanks for the memories
    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super, Jinnie. I also thought abought the Spanish examples of Moorish/Islamic architecture. I'm so glad you did finish your P&Q design. Love the idea of the doors opening onto that scene with the pool. Great details. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's delightful the way the door opens on to the lovely scene inside. And I like the earthy tones of fabric that you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fussy cutting round the door, and the peek into the view. The pastel shades of the view compliment the more solid colours of the gateway perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and very thoughtful piece you have produced. Lots of steps you have taken to reach the end result. It is a really interesting journey you took to make this design work so well. Well done Jinnie.

    ReplyDelete