Pages

Saturday 1 September 2018

GABRIELE MÜNTER


   


   I really liked Gabriele Münter's woodblock prints, more so than the paintings, but despite that none of them  inspired me to make a quilt. However the shapes of the trees in 'Haus mit Tannen im Schnee' gave me an idea that I sketched. I took this and some print outs of others of her works on holiday in the hope that I might have some other ideas. Whilst I was away I did a one day monoprint class at the Hot Bed Press in Salford, basically just experimenting with mark making and different ways of using monoprint. I decided to try a simple torn paper mask in the shape of the sketches I had drawn, and I have used that shape on my quilt. At first I thought of stenciling it with markal, but realized I would have had to let it dry a day or two, and I only had a short time to make the quilt after coming back from holiday last weekend. In the end I chose to appliqué it using a fabric I printed for another project, but which I did not use in the end, and a sheer black fabric. I used the latter as I wanted the print to show through from the background fabric.



10 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! Jinnie. This is masterful. So inspired to take a detail and turn it into a piece on its own. I love the story of how it came about - big lesson: be flexible and let the piece work it's magic. Who would have guessed? Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jinnie, the perfect solution when something doesn't grab you. I felt the same way about her work - funny how so many of us have liked her wood block prints. I love your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Love the use of the sheer fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree also. Take a small part of the bigger pic and work on that. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Phil - take a small part of a picture and make it work in a totally different way. I always learn something new each time I see everyone's work. Love the simple shapes and colours and also the way you have used the sheet fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, like how you have taken a small idea and parlayed it into a completely different, but successful piece. I like the balance you've created with the two different colours. Was that rust dyed fabric that you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used fluid acrylic paints mixed with fabric medium for the fabric.

      Delete
  7. I love this piece, Jinnie. So original!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jinnie - I'm about 5 miles south of Hot Bed Press. Let me know if you're ever this way again I see a mini meetup in the offing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be in Stockport next summer, assuming that a disastrous Brexit doesn't cause huge queues at Calais and Dover!

      Delete