Pages

Friday 1 June 2018

The Dragon Sleeps

Sorry, I'm late - partly because I knew early on what I wanted to do and partly that I got carried away and it grew like Topsy.

I loved your choice, Linda.  So much to choose from but the line drawings spoke to me right from the beginning.  Her seas...all those lines.  How could I resist?!

So following on from being inspired by an artist's style and interpreting something local or familiar, I have chosen to base my piece on a well known feature of the Jurassic Coast (a World Heritage Site) on my doorstep - Durdle Door.

Durdle Door dragon
Durdle Door

Linear Meditation 2

Lots of stitching, changing of threads, tying off and losing threads and Inktense painting.  It is a whole-cloth piece.  I wasn't able to paint as I wanted because of the quilting and potential bleeding but I'm reasonably happy.

Now, what's next?

Hilary


10 comments:

  1. Lot's & lots of stitching. Great subject matter and you have nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Hilary! What an amazing natural dragon in the sea. The stitching is brilliant. I find WBG's work so inspiring and so stitch-like, it would be easy to go on and on with her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice of fabrics too - they really work with the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wholecloth, Linda - base is white fabric stitched and painted..chuffed you think it is a variety of fabrics. H

      Delete
  4. I love how you've created the Durdle Door - your quilting on it is quite spectacular. Nice use of the lines in the sea and shore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your interpretation of Durdle Door. I'm not surprised that most of us were inspired by her line Drawings: they are so stitchable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your choice of subject incorporating WBG's line drawings was inspirational and your stitching and painting brought it altogether. I really like everything you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful choice of quilt stitches for all the different aspects, sky, dragon and sea. Interested to hear that you painted the background. Did you use acrylic or textile paints ?
    Being able to paint on our quilts has opened up all sorts of possibilities for textile artists .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Koh-I-Noor paints, Rosemary. They are strictly speaking not textile paints as they are not permanent. They are vibrant water colours. I wasn't thinking when I rushed to get the piece finished and would have used Inktense if my brain had been in gear. Ssh, don't tell anyone but I am going to add to the piece with Inktense... H

      Delete
    2. Thanks Hilary. I must practice using the Intense crayons and pastels more. It seems that they are very vibrant and easy to use . I can get them here in NZ which is a bonus ! R

      Delete