Pages

Sunday 31 May 2015

EXPERIMENT IN WHITE




   When I chose this colour I had no idea what I was going to do. It was a last minute choice as I realized that the colour that I had originally chosen was too close to one that had been done before I joined the group. Finally I decided to try out an idea that had been lying dusty in the corners of my mind. I used to make bobbin lace and had a bagful of twirly threads that had been taken off the bobbins after I had finished  pieces of lace. It reminded me of foaming water and for twenty years I have thought of using it for the foam at the bottom of a waterfall. So here is my waterfall made with scraps of white and off-white cottons, man-made fabrics, crystal organza, net and cotton threads. I was quite pleased with it until I added the foam and realised that it is too white, with not enough contrast to make an interesting design, and that it is in fact no more than a sample that could be useful for something in the future. I am glad I finally tried it out though. It was difficult to photograph and does look slightly better in reality than in  the photograph.

11 comments:

  1. It really does look like foam at the bottom of a waterfall! Very gorgeous. I wish I could see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to try out these ideas that niggle away in the back of your mind - and this one was definitely worth trying out. I love the frothy foam effect. Nothing wrong with it being a sample as I am sure you have more ideas after playing around with this. Some pieces don't need contrast - here the texture says it all.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Hilary. It is great to be able to finally try out those ideas & intentions. Very visual. Great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the texture provides sufficient contrast in this piece.
    if this is a sample, cant wait to see the next step - just don't leave it another twenty years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unique, Jinnie, and good for you for bringing to life a long-held concept. Would it be possible to vary that line between the upper part and the foaming water section, having a more irregular border between the two? I think I would find that more interesting and dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the border being too regular. I've been trying to work out what wasn't quite right and I think its that. My husband commented that it needed more spray and i wondered about adding some tiny seed beads for spray: another idea to try out....maybe in 20 years!

      Delete
  6. I like how your experiment has turned out. I could see that method being very effective in a larger piece. Do you dare add a touch of colour to it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting and effective, Jinnie. I love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so contemporary
    oo - i love it
    i just want to touch it
    well done jinnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good use of all those twirly ends, and a great way to portray a waterfall. I agree with Heather that it might be interesting to vary the straightness of the junction between the two textures, perhaps with a suggestion of rocks below the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked your idea and it's always great when one has an idea from way back to implement it years later. I think your use of texture was really great.

    ReplyDelete