Pages

Wednesday 19 January 2011

marbling

January in Montreal is a cold month.  When it's very cold (we're talking -20ÂșC) it's also very sunny.  I keep hearing on the radio that Monday was supposed to be the most depressing day of the year.  It's probably a good thing that our little Textile Art group didn't know that because we had a great day.  Sun poured in the windows in Helena's lovely old house and she had set up all the things necessary for us to do some marbling on fabric.  She also provided a lovely elegant lunch as well with curried vegetable soup which was just the ticket for a cold day.

And here are my results.  With thanks to Helena.




5 comments:

  1. The pieces are very impressive - how big are they? What method and kind of fabric did you use?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each piece is a little larger than a piece of paper, and since Helena provided the kit, I'm not sure what the dyes were. Not very helpful, I'm afraid.

    The "paints" are put on the surface of a gel-like liquid in a square container. Then the fabric is placed on top. The colour bonds to the fabric almost immediately and when you lift it off, there is the surprise of what you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dianne, I like to get the scale in my head. I have heard about these kits so it's good to know they are very effective.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that I never got around the answering the marbling questions earlier. We used a kit from Pro Chemical which I bought in the early 1990s! It all still seemed to work. The fabric was prewashed with synthropol and then soaked in alum, dried and ironed. I don't know what kind of paint is included in the kit because it is not indicated. There were the primary colours that could be mixed, plus black and extender.

    ReplyDelete