Pages

Sunday 30 January 2011

LATEST LOCAL CHALLENGE

This is the result for my local challenge group - theme "Recycle".   I held on to bits and pieces from my son Murray and Jess's  wedding day six years ago with the intention of including them in something textile. Hilary, you will remember me playing around with the one picture a couple of years ago, which has not materialized as you can gather. I had dried the ivy leaves from the table arrangement in some granules a number of years back and they were still good to use.  The pictures are two that Murray (graphic designer) had played around with with the intention of put them on canvas in their home. Instead I have snitched the pictures from his site and using the wonder of wash-away paper transferred them onto calico. The grass and cracks are thermo fax screens which represent the place where they had their photos done ..... a burnt out, overgrown with weeds and graffiteed shell of a house .... something different.  The quilting is three large lilies with a couple of buds which were her bouquet and I have enhanced them with a bronze fabric crayon.  The main quilt is mounted on a artists canvas (16 x 16 inch) and then I made the 'frame' separately which is hand stitched in place. Leaves , hard muslin type bow and cheap pearls where then added to the frame.  Had fun!

9 comments:

  1. Phil,

    I am absolutely bowled over and over! It's beautiful and I guess you will be giving it to them and they will also be thrilled. There is so much thought that has gone into it.

    I meant to ask you to explain the water soluble/wash away paper method that you used to transfer the image - can we have a lesson please?

    Thanks for sharing,

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece, Phil! I love the way the textures take over when the colour palette is so subdued. There is a softness to the edges that creates mystery and draws the viewer in. Are you familiar with the Japanese term, wabi-sabi? I have been told it means, "Nothing is perfect, nothing is finished, nothing lasts forever." This piece is very wabi-sabi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous. There is so much depth, and your stitching has enhanced all the layers of image that you've put into it. And an old-fashioned look that is very appealing to me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. phil - this is quite splendid - i love this look (and i know heather does too).

    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In answer to Hilary's question of the process ... it is in the Dec/Jan 2011 Quilting Arts Mag; Page 46 - digital imagery on fabric. I must say I used a lot of things that she did not suggest and it worked beautifully:- deskject printer/ YLI water soluble paper/ cream seedcloth/ormalene instead of a gel medium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Phil. How does the finish of the photo transfer differ from printing the image directly pn to the cloth? Does using a gel medium leave a shiny coat in the same way as, say, Sandra Meech's work?

    Hilary

    Now to find someone with QA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, there is a slight sheen but maybe if I used the matte gel medium as suggested in the article it would be less shiny. It is only ever so shiny. The picture is also quite soft and workable. It would not suit for crisp sharp lines as there is an element of risk you will not quite get it right. For the slightly distressed or aged look ....perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning piece Phil! I tried the matte medium to transfer photos as suggested in the article and didn't have an easy time of it. One black and white photo came out ok, but the colour was terrible. And the while thing is stiff as a board. I will try washing it to see if it softens. I didn't have Golden medium, and use what I had, which was Liquitex. Maybe that made the difference. It was just an experiment so I didn't really care. Yours is absolutely wonderful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! I wish I could see it in person. It really invokes a feeling of age and beauty.

    ReplyDelete