Pages

Thursday 14 October 2010

small pieces


A local school, the Centre des Textiles Contemporains de Montréal, is holding its second 20 x 20 auction / fundraiser. They are asking for donated textile pieces, measuring 20 cm square. I participated in this last year and it was a lot of fun to see the variety of work on display. I have made four pieces to contribute.
These pieces all began with hand-dyed fabric which was then stenciled, stamped and silk-screened.
The first one was completed with commercial cotton, organza, painted lutradur and tulle; the second with printed lutradur, scrim and cheesecloth; the third with printed rice paper, a zipper and buttons; the fourth with printed rice paper, grommets and some specialty papers. All were fused to black polar fleece and stitched.

They all have an urban feel to them, so I hope they will be well-received by the viewers.

I will be attending a Sandra Meech workshop in Ottawa next week with Pam Chasen and Michele Meredith. We have been asked to develop a theme to work on, so I went to a local construction site and took lots of industrial-type photos. I have been fiddling with them in Photoshop and having lots of fun with that. Hope the workshop is as enjoyable as the prep!

5 comments:

  1. I love these opportunitties allowing us to have fun, experimenting with all sorts of different techniques and mediums and other people benefit in the end as well. I learn so much. The 4th is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really hope you are not going to be bored at the sandra meech workshop this week - in my opinion you are way ahead of the game. well done - what an exciting wide range of media each one so optimally used. i love them all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're going to make extensive notes from the Sandra Meech workshops - still can't believe I allowed myself to miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather,

    What exquisite little pieces - only 8" square at that. I love them all but the cheeky one with the zip stands out. Then I look at the first and second and think... They are all lovely really. I am curious why you chose to fuse them to black polar fleece as it stretches so.

    Can't wait to see what you get up in Sandra's class!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fleece has the tiniest bit of stretch. It's almost like a felt, and between the fusing and the quilting, I think it will be stable enough for the job. The truth is that I love to use what I have on hand instead of trekking off to the nearest fabric store some 30 minutes away.

    Sandra's class was a whirlwind of ideas, activities and exercises. What is usually a five-day workshop was compressed into two days. It will take a little time to digest the experience. Perhaps the highlight was just the opportunity to see her beautiful work up close.

    ReplyDelete