Pages

Monday 21 June 2021

Walls and walls

 I'm sorry for being so late.  No excuses except procrastination which then lead to creating it's own series of logistical problems.  So I've done two.  One is based on my original idea that has been in my head for months and the other jumped in after I had seem some of your works.  

 

The first is based on a small dry stone wall of blue slate at the cottage which protects a small garden from the forest above.  I have an indigenous plant called lobelia cardinalis which blooms faithfully every year.  






The second quilt is based on a picture that I took whilst on a trip to Israel, Palestine and Jordan when one of our daughters was doing a post doc in Chinese history at the Hebrew University.  

We had a very interesting trip to Bethlehem, a place that Israelis are not allowed to visit.  We stayed in a lovely old hotel, met many friendly people  and were dismayed by the wall.  Banksy owns a hotel which used to have a lovely view but a wall was built literally across a narrow road and this is now the view.  Hence the name of the hotel:  The Walled Off Hotel.  The wall itself traverses Palestinian lands, takes away farms and olive groves and is definitely an eyesore.  There is of course too much history on either side, but often we only hear one part of it.  




6 comments:

  1. I much prefer your first piece, Dianne. It just goes to show how powerful a voice simplicity has!. It speaks loudly and clearly. Very nice - I love how you interpreted the photo.
    Not sure about the second piece - it's a difficult subject with so much raw emotion surrounding it.
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I prefer the first piece too, though that might just be because it’s so visually alive. I’d love to see the second piece in person, that might change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first piece too: i like your simplification of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you have interpreted the lobelia cardinalis. And thank you for bringing the Walled Off Hotel view piece into being. The things I learn about the world through this group and yet another reminder of how very lucky my life is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there I am so excited I found your site, I really found
    you by accident, while I was browsing on Digg for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a tremendous post and a all round
    interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the moment but I have book-marked
    it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

    ReplyDelete