Pages

Saturday 6 March 2021

Time worn door, Labrousse


   Years ago I took these photos of an old door  in the hamlet in Limousin where my father-in-law came from. I was attracted to the textures of the peeling paint and rust on the wood and the iron bars. I knew that I wanted to use them for this quilt when I came across them in my collection of photos.




  I had two ideas that I wanted to try out, so I decided to make a double sided quilt. I made up a quilt sandwich, so that all the edges were finished before I started to quilt (no facing sitting around for ever afterwards waiting to be finished off!) After quilting I used Markal Paintstiks to colour one side This reminds  me more  of a tree trunk, than a door. The photo looks as though it is out of focus, but it looks a little fuzzy in real life.



   I used gesso and acrylic paint to add colour to the other side of the door.





   I made rusty iron bars out of crinkled brown paper glued to felt, and used a faux rust paint technique that I found by chance on internet. I was going to use paper fasteners for the bolts, but when Phil posted her quilt and I saw that she had used buttons, I thought I would have a look in my button box. I found six red fabric covered buttons that were ideal. I just needed to give them the faux rust treatment.




   I enjoyed making this quilt. It was very much an experiment, and I'm pleased that it came out as well as it did.



5 comments:

  1. You've done a great job replicating the look of the door- the colours are beautiful and so are the lines. I like the back side too, but the turquoise on the front really sings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so effective, Jinnie. Congrats. I love your methodology - thanks for explaining. You very brave taking the risk of working on a 'finished piece' but it paid off. I can totally understand why you were drawn to the door in the first place. Hilary
    PS Curious about faux rust technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel at all brave as I was considering it as an experimental piece, so it was easy to splash on the gesso and paint. I think that if I'd been decided it was going to be a work of art, I'd have been a little more worried about it! The faux rust technique is in this short video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va9Xz9bn9wE
      I didn't have everything used in the video, so adapted it to what I have. I used modelling paste instead of texture sand paste, mixed a gray from black and white, and used a yellow that was as close to the one in the video as possible.

      Delete
  3. The faux rust technique worked very well, and the contrast between the rusted hinge and the turquoise on the door brings the piece alive. The original door is so French - I've seen countless like them and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing result, Jinnie. Love your door. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

    ReplyDelete