Pages

Friday 1 March 2019

Shamia - an interpretation, and a confession

I was thrilled with Claire's choice of Shamia Hassani as our next artist for interpretation. I browsed the internet, and was fascinated with her inclusion of pianos in her works, as we are a musical family.

Taken from Shamia Hassani's website


I loved this video.
I decided to not use one of her works as such, but the photo of her in front of one of her works.


At first I thought I was going to literally interpret this, and played around with photoshop filters.




Then I arrived at this variation of the photo.


And chose to take one little detail of it from the lower middle of the picture.


It is so small in pixels, that I would have to enlarge the fragment, but that is not a problem.

But I also had to face the truth after Hilary's call to action in November whether I was still with the group - she held up the mirror to my face. And although I loved this idea, I never really had the leisure to sit down and work it through, put it into textile. Already in November I had understood that I would have to resign from the group, because my changed professional situation does not allow me to keep up with the rhythm of the challenges, although I love the idea, I like the community and I think I need some input like that. Life is not premitting this right now. Although I wanted to withdraw with a completed work, this did not happen, which makes me very sorry. I apologize - I will follow the blog and your developments and I do hope to meet some of you somewhere again.

9 comments:

  1. Uta, I am really sorry to say aufwedersehen as I thought you brought a valid, interesting and different perspective to the group. But, I know only too well how tempting it is to say yes when an offer comes along that excites you. I still haven't learnt to sit on my hands or zip my lips and resist temptation. I wish you well in your new professional life. I know you won't stop making textile art. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Uta. I liked where you were going with your PS work. And I'm sorry you are going away from us! I wish you well in your work and hope that if things change you will consider re-joining us down the road. Take care. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uta, you and your voice/art will be missed. Good luck with all your other endeavours! All the best, Helena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am sorry to see you leave us, Uta. Good luck in the future with whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that you are leaving us Uta but life never runs as smoothly as we'd like. I wish you well and I'm sure that our paths will cross again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you well in the new season of your life. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uta - I am sad for us but so happy for you. I know your new journey is so important to you and I wish you all the very best.
    I love the direction you were going with this and I hope one day you may find the time to pursue it if it still excites you. I know we will keep in touch.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece which you had in your mind interpreting Shamsia's art would have been so interesting and maybe one day you will have time to do it . I always enjoyed seeing your works of art . Good luck for your future. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your good wishes. I have already had moments when I regretted having resigned - but ... as much as I would like to remain part of the group, right now there are other things I need to pursue. Perhaps in two years I can knock on the door and request re-entry. And I do hope that I will be able to pursue this plan with Shamia's piece. Wishing you all the best. Rosemary - will you still show the Esher in New Zealand, please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete