My first thought was to free machine the outlines of the letters and fill in the outline with paint. Then I realised the letters would be only 1" high and I am not steady enough to do it well. I had considered using my embroidery unit but it is tricky lining up different hoopings and there would have been many in this piece. I thought about stencils and stamps but couldn't find any the right size. Then a friend offered to use her new Silhouette Cameo digital cutting machine to cut them out or me! These machines take your original design data from a computer and convert it into cutting lines. You can then feed in sheets of fabric which the blade will cut. This seemed like a gift from heaven. I sent her a sample sheet of fabric with Heat 'n Bond Ultra fused on the back and it came back perfect! Off went all the different coloured fabric sheets only to come back with lots of thread whiskers. Poor Jan, it's a new machine and unfortunately I don't live close enough to be able to pop over and work through the problem. I do believe these machines have potential.
So, in the end I bit the bullet and paid to have them laser cut. I have to say it isn't cheap but you get a brilliant result. The firm I dealt with up in Scotland are used to dealing with fashion and fabrics and they were excellent at every step of the way.
The background has been screen printed with dictionary definitions of the word Dislocation.
What I found surprising was how hard it was to spell words incorrectly and because of this I actually 'misspellt' three words by leaving letters out!
This isn't a major piece of work and it certainly doesn't have any 'wow' factor but I hope it will keep visitors amused (much as my Straplines did last year). It measures 120cm x 50cm (48" x 20").
PS Because I made a pig's ear of the facing by getting the quilt front off-centre, I was reduced to having to satin stitch around the edge and chamfer the corners because I trimmed the seam allowances before checking. Big Mistake!