|Two of the prepared boards|
|Individual print offs|
Then we tried a bit of spray discharge. I love the work of Clare Plug in New Zealand.
We used Domestos household bleach which I thinned a bit (mine in the cupbard was the gel version), put in a spray bottle and then used to spray on black fabric: one piece pole wrapped and the other a scrap that Phil had tied on the back shibori style. I think we retied the fabric for a second spraying because the first try was too open. The success does depend largely on the quality of spray bottle - this one was inclined to splutter large drops along with the misty spray but maybe that is what some people might like. We also sprayed from one angle to try and highlight the folds. We have shared the two pieces.
|Pole wrapped - this had marbles trapped between string at odd intervals|
|Piece on the left is done. The 3D effect is wonderful - that is a flat piece of fabric! The piece on the right is ready to go with those self-cover buttons tied inside.|
After this we had a session with my old, very out of date kit of blueprint fabrics (1993?). The top two are with lace laid over and the bottom left has buttons and the bottom right feathers. Had this been a fresh kit the results would have been much, much crisper with more white/blue contrast. I had previously made one with a freezer paper stencil with cut out letters ironed in position. Interestingly the letters were printed out as solid black letters in a Word document and the black ink has increased the resistance to the sunlight.
|Blueprint fabric squares|
|Various experiments with 606 and foiling|
Well, that's it folks - hope you enjoyed what we got up to and are inspired to try one or two of these techniques. Blue print packs can still be bought (Dharma have them) but if you are brave the formula is available on line and you can prepare your own fabric (any colour) or clothing, etc.