Pages

Friday 13 August 2010

Catching up from SA , part 2

I had a problem adding more pictures to my first post for some reason so here is part 2. I belong to a similar group , but smaller, in SA and we produce a piece every 2 months but it will be for a year and again I am trying to keep the challenges within a theme so I can hang these together as one. I am using a pack of Heide's fabric and the sizes of each are approx 29" x 7". Our first challenge (the gold) was 'Revolution/s' and the second 'a traditional block, cut into'. I stretched the theme in the second challenge to be a painted 9-patch.

Techniques have been paint, embossing powders, hot spots and foil, glue and glitter powders and the quilting varies from small to large stippling, changing the thread colour and I have included some pearl shapes. These will not hang together as the continuous 9-patch at the top of the purple will have to be continued to flow. The next theme is 'symbols' and this one will go between these two.


The carving is a piece I found in amongst some braai (barbecue) wood that had been purchased ages ago, probably not even by us as we use charcoal, however, it was discovered approx a year after my gardener, Phillip, and passed away which was a big loss to me. Who by.... who knows but it is absolutely beautiful and I finally decided I wanted to give Phillip, as he has an uncanny likeness to him, a place to 'live'. I finished this mosaic piece on Tuesday and Phillip now sits proudly on his perch attached to the wall of the house looking over my garden.






1 comment:

  1. Ah ha! Now I know why you have been so quiet. Love the two banner pieces. Nice size to work with and super interpretations. Lots of impressive techniques. (In case anyone wonders who Heide is - she is a wonderful fabric dyer from Germany who comes to our Festival of Quilts each year - her fabric is out of this world!)

    A lovely tribute to Phillip. But what an amazing find in the wood pile!!!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete