Pages

Thursday 25 February 2010

Phoenix Feathers are finished

Let's go back to the beginning.  This was very finely quilted on my Gammill.  I am quite chuffed with the way it turned out.  I think I practically had my nose beside the needle trying to see what I was doing!  It was done on white PFD with white cotton (Alex Anderson) and then it was dyed.  The first dyeing was a little too blotchy so I bleached it, then over dyed it.  Which is the result below.   It looked good up close but didn't really draw attention.

So I started to paint.  I put gold paint mixed with red and yellow on all the circles and flames.  Then put yellow on the suns.   Still not happy,  so out came the paint stix (markels) and the yellow showed up really well.  I then used a dark red on the feathers.  I feel that it has a little pizzaz now, but I sure would do things differently next time!
















2 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, Diane. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Diane. This is just down my alley except I have not had the courage to dye afterwards. Question ... when you applied the paint on afterwards did you have to watch your consistency in case of 'bleading' more than you would have liked, because of the three layers?

    ReplyDelete