Pages

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Negative space


I've really discovered the meaning of negative space.  I am doing a design with feathers and suns (phoenix is my theme) and thought I was being quite brilliant, until the entire design was quilted and then I looked at the unquilted parts and wondered how I was going to make the design show, not the unquilted sections.  The picture shows bits of both.  So I am going cross-eyed with tiny stippling.  Had I realized all this, the "flames" would have been much fatter.  

I realize that with the pic something else may come to mind.  I may have to rename it b--bs and boas. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! WOW! Simply stunning. I am so impressed, Dianne. Crossed-eyed you might be going, but it is making the design pop out beautifully. How big is the piece?

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's about a metre squared
    And a third stippled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is the right word, fantastic stuff, brilliant quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking wonderful! Are you doing it on the long arm? Looking forward to seeing it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning!! The work is exquisite! What did you use to draw the design on your fabric so it doesn't show? What thread are you using? I hope I get to see it up close one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Venetta. I use the "ultimate marking pencil for quilters" which is like a lead mechanical pencil, but the lines erase or wash out. I also use the ubiquitous blue pen. The lines are there but very faint. Thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete