Pages

Sunday 10 January 2021

CHETHAM'S LIBRARY

 

  When the subject of libraries was chosen as the next challenge, I thought that I would like to do something based on one of the libraries in which I have worked. In the late 1980’s I was a newly qualified librarian who had been unemployed for a year, when I found a place on an MSC Scheme at Chetham’s library in Manchester, where I was involved in cataloguing books and tracts until I managed to find a permanent post eight months later. Chetham’s library was founded in 1653 by Humphrey Chetham and is the oldest library open to the public in the English speaking world. It is in a beautiful medieval building from the 1420’s, which you can see in this selection of photos: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Chetham%27s_Library I was really lucky to work in such a place and have fond memories of my months there. You can find out more about the library on their site: https://library.chethams.com/ and there are a couple of short videos about the library and its history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ibnx-kabOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJeVNhogn8&t=17s

   I did some sketches from the photos that I found on line, and decided to make a lino print from them. I was quite pleased with my prints, despite the errors in the drawing, which resulted in a wonky door, and which I only noticed when I had almost finished cutting the block. I think I made the error when I was straightening out some lines after I had transferred the drawing to the block, and decided to alter some of the other lines. I had originally intended to transfer print the pattern of the leaded windows onto a sheer fabric and place that over the print, as if you were looking through the window to the other part of the building. Unfortunately it didn’t work: the sheer wasn’t sheer enough, the print of the building wasn’t dark enough and it just looked as though it was a very foggy day. The print on its own was too small for the size of the quilt, and I really wasn’t sure what to do with it after that. Quilter’s block set in, and it took me a long time to come up with any way in which I could use my print for this project. I finally came up with the idea of joining two of the prints together, but it was still too small, so in the end I gave up and made two small quilts, which are practically the same and put them side by side to make the correct size!






10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that this is so late. It would have been finished by Christmas if we hadn't had a leak in the attic and my son's bedroom and had to sort out the soggy mess. Fortunately, nothing important was damaged, though we're still trying to find someone to fix the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you find a roof repairer soon! At least your studio wasn't in the attic. Well done for the lino cutting; I don't see the door as wonky at all. I enjoy the feeling of peace I get from this work, much like the peace that is normally found within a library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My studio is in the attic! It wasn't in that section of the attic, though we did have a leak there a couple of years ago, but it only dampened a few plastic boxes before I noticed it and we were able to get it repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are being WAY to hard on yourself.Both pieces together look absolutely beautiful, and the paleness of the ink from your prints adds to the feeling of the stone. I think it is superb and hope you see it as an excellent piece and not a collection of mistakes and failures.I'm not seeing wonky lines or difficulties, I'm seeing a great response to the challenge.
    ps. hope the leak is sorted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite pleased with it, despite the wonkiness, but then nothing is ever perfect. I find I learn something new from every mistake and don't really see it in a negative way. Still trying to find someone reliable to fix the leak, especially as it's supposed to rain in the second half of the week!

      Delete
    2. I like what you have done with this Jinnie. The detail is amazing. It definitely has an old world look which suits the age of the building. Thanks for introducing us to it.

      Delete
  5. How frustrating, Jinnie, when you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and it eludes you. I am impressed with your lino print - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get such fine detail myself. It is a lovely example of medieval architecture. You have captured that sense of history and time stood still. I'm sure the building 'oozed' with a sense of its history when you worked there. Lucky you. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It was a lovely place to work. The building also houses Chetham's music School, founded by Humphrey Chetham originally as a school for poor boys of good family. The room where we did the cataloguing was near the practice rooms and we were able to listen to some first class musicians playing while we worked. I wasn't sure that I could get the fine detail when I was cutting it, which is why I am quite pleased with the result, and was worried that I was going to ruin it all when I came to do the latticed windows. It was easier than I thought

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the late comment. Some of my blog emails go to my main folder and others sneak into my social folder which I don't think to check. Anyway, I agree with Claire, the challenges you faced are known only to you and the end result is very effective. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete