Pages

Wednesday 2 March 2016

Spike's Bonfire

I've just finished a piece for a challenge for our local CQ group.  The theme was poetry, size 15 x 20 inches.  Having been educated as a scientist my poetry knowledge is rather small, but I always loved the mad humour of Spike Milligan, and even knew a couple of his poems.  I rejected:

I must go down to the sea again,
To the lonely sea and the sky;
I left my shoes and socks there -
I wonder if they're dry?

though I am very tempted to use it again in the future.  Instead of which I went for a serious poem of his:

If I could write words
Like leaves on an autumn forest floor,
What a bonfire my letters would make.
If I could speak words of water,
you would drown when I said
'I love you'.

Hence my piece :- Spike's Bonfire
I really enjoyed this challenge - I hope our new series goes as well.

7 comments:

  1. Well done Linda. You have really captured the essence of the poem in a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really feel the heat of the bonfire - you've really done justice to the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good interpretation: it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely, Linda. How well the colour of Autumn leaves and a fire fit together to convey the heat and the forest floor. Thanks for sharing.

    Looking forward to those shoes and socks left on the sea shore...

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The forest is ablaze! I can hear the crackle of the flames.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this piece. The colours, which always speak to me first, are just beautiful and convey the very essence of the poem. As has been said by others the whole piece of work speaks of fire and heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Interpretation. fantastic.

    ReplyDelete