Pages

Sunday 4 March 2018

We have a new member

Too much excitement - a new artist and a new member.  She is a South African, living in Durban and Phil approached her with the invitation to join us.  I am delighted to say she has accepted.  I have sent her an invite to register with our blog so she can post things, but in the meantime she has sent this bio:


          My name is Allison Moorcroft and I started quilting in 1993.  After a slow start, I completed a few commissioned quilts and have exhibited my work in England, France, USA, Japan, Taiwan and of course, South Africa.

          Won an Over-locker and later an Embroidery machine entering Bernina Competitions.  Over the years I have gravitated to Fibre Art work away from Traditional quilting.   Besides being a member of one of our local Quilting Guilds, I am also part of a small group called ‘The Arty Farty girls’.

          As we live on a yacht, I simply do not have the luxury of a reasonably sized studio which compels me to create smaller pieces of artwork.  My artist husband is my worst critic [or is it best?].


A picture I found of Allison sewing a commissioned quilt designed by her husband - it is a special kind of sailing spinnaker parachute (2014).

Welcome Allison, good to have you join us.

Hilary

8 comments:

  1. Well hello Allison! Congratulations on joining this fabulous group. I am quite a new member too,and am so happy to hear you have joined us. A yacht for home... How fantastic!
    Best wishes Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire,
      Living on a yacht is not as romantic (fantastic) as it's made out to be.
      Allison

      Delete
  2. Hello Allison. Hope you have as much fun as I am having being a member of this super blog group.Welcome.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the group Allison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to have you with us Allison! I’d love to see what your studio looks like on a yacht....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helena,

      My studio was one of the cabins in the boat but we threw out the mattress and Lawrence raised the floor to accommodate a chair. At the moment it's rather a mess because I am trying to clear most of the 'clutter', but then I start a new challenge......!
      We are getting the yacht ready to sell.
      Allison

      Delete