Pages

Thursday 30 November 2017

My Take on Escher

As much as I have been fascinated & intrigued by the art of tessellation it has never inspired me to produce a piece hence the simplicity of my piece and the heading 'My take".

Added to the fact that as good as all my pieces in this challenge have been whole cloth / surface design in nature I have gone with the flow.

My inspiration originally started with the tale end of a scarf I have ......


and then I applied it to a tree 'disintegrating' into birds in flight.  I made a decision to also work in colour.  The two background fabrics are a piece Hilary & I dyed when we were working on the colour range and the right hand piece Diane you may recognise.  the top was stencilled & painted.  Quilting it was a challenge but I eventually settled on the straight lines which I think work.


Personally a little disappointed in the end piece but I can live with it.




9 comments:

  1. Disappointed? I would be thrilled. It is such a clever personal interpretation! You should be really chuffed with it. The straight quilting lines allow the complexity of the tree and birds to shine through.

    Aha, Marsala makes another appearance - I remember all those experiments at getting our interpretation of 'Marsala' flapping on the washing line.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil you have no need to be disappointed - this is an inspired piece of work and if I may be so bold, one of your very best. I love every aspect of it (particularly your use of colour) and the way you have interpretated his tessellations without them being actual tessellations in the manner of Escher himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Phil, you've done a masterful job with the leaves falling and turning into birds. A bit symbolic with the snow dyed fabric - definitely a sign of winter for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others Phil. I am impressed by your liberal interpretation and love the way the tree dissolves into the flight of birds. Well done! Escher would approve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Helena, I think Escher would approve. I envy your ability to think laterally with these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of birds flying out of the tree lends itself to a magnificent Escher 'take'. Very cleverly done giving the idea of the tessellation without having to be one . I agree with your choice of straight line quilting as it enhances the design very well . I really like it Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your interpretation: you can see the influence of Escher, but it's very definitely yours. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A truly inspired piece! I am blown away by your use of a stencil to achieve the silhouettes of a tree, leaves and birds. And having two distinct colors vertically intersect your piece as the birds fly off horizontally is downright genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everybody; beautiful, clever, your own and definitely Escher. So difficult to write a review as one of the last persons ;O)

    ReplyDelete