Thursday, 30 November 2017
I like Escher's work, but I was dreading this challenge. In the end I decided to try making my own tesselation, just to see how it worked. I started with a hexagon and tried some really simple designs, getting a little more complex each time. I enjoyed playing with the tesselations and in the end had eight or nine designs, the simplest being too simple and the more complex ones not being very interesting. This was the only one that I felt I could do anything with. I thought it would be quick and simple to make too. I first quilted the motifs from the back, as it was much easier to see the markings on the white backing fabric. Then I painted them with iridescent fabric paint (it is difficult to see the iridescence on the photo and I haven't been able to capture the colours accurately). I had more trouble making it than I thought, as I made a mess of transferring the design and had to start all over again. It took me four times as long to paint it than I thought it would, by which time I was thoroughly bored with it, and in hindsight I think it would have prefered to have printed it. Originally I was going to paint all the shapes, but realized it would be better to leave a black border for more contrast, but by then I had painted the bronze shapes in the middle row up to the edge. I made a mistake in the final cutting and the design is not centred, which annoys me: they say to measure twice, cut once, but I am geometrically challenged and despite my rule of measure at least five times and cut once, I still managed to make a dog's dinner of it!