Pages

Thursday 30 November 2017

CIRCLE OF FISH

Escher was undoubetedly a great mathematician and together with his artistic talent he combined the two to great effect.  I found this challenge daunting to say the least (his tessellations are extraordinarily brilliant) but I was not inspired with the fact that his work was monochromatic in most of his work.  My passion is colour, and in Africa this is what we have and see in every facet of our lives, even in winter when it can get really cold up here on the highveld, the sun shines from clear, beautiful skies and our indiginious trees in the garden are always green.  In retrospect I could have used colour, but in the end used different shades of blue.  Not my favourite piece but hope I rose to the challenge. I used African fabric called Schwe Schwe in the corners and in the binding to represent the scales of a fish, which, I think, worked well.  I also include two pieces of his which were my inspiration.






10 comments:

  1. Well done & great use of the techniques from both works of his. Your ripples created with the quilting & the use of enhanced colour are perfect. Great to see you working in a cooler colour and the use of Schwe schwe finishers it off. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a calm serenity about these fish swimming eternally in a circle - they are almost playful. Perfect use of the Schwe Schwe fabric. Your ripples are beautifully coloured! Inspired piece.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The fish are so Escher and I love the way you have echoed the ripples from the Escher painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combination and lovely colours. To me it looks Japanese - and that is a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you have incorporated the two Eschers into your quilt. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I prefer your fish to Escher's, but can't help wondering what would have happened if you'd given in to your desire for colour. Written from a rather dank, grey UK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the delicately coloured and playful dolphins and enjoyed the way you created the ripple effect with very creative quilting . You contrasted the joyful movement of the dolphins in the centre of the piece with the calmness of the Schwe schwe fabric in the corners and binding which combined so effectively . I think it is a super piece and Escher would have enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way that you have combined the inspiration from Escher's two designs. I love the fish and the quilted ripples are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful and delicate, both colour and subject makes me think of Japanese art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always learn so much from members of this quilt group, and now I have learned about an African fabric called Shwe Shwe! Of course, I had to find out about this fabric. Thank you, Patricia, for the authenticity of your work by telling us about your environment and traditions. The playfulness of your fish makes your piece come alive with movement and happy feelings.

    ReplyDelete