Monday, 29 February 2016
As usual, I was totally unprepared for this challenge, other than having dyed a piece of bamboo/silk fabric a wonderful bright yellow. I find yellow a difficult colour to work with and I was completely devoid of ideas, and fast running out of time. I wanted to use purple with the yellow, as that is an almost automatic pairing for me, but not too much. I found a couple of orange/browns that I liked, then stalled again.
It is a long while since I have tried weaving fabric strips together, but I had a feeling that this might work with my fabrics. I drew a couple of random shapes on paper, then pieced them together. I immediately could see a yellow bird, and that impression was still there when I had woven the strips together. I used Steam-a-seam-two-lite as a backing, and for the first time wished I had used Bondaweb instead. The stickiness of the Steam-a-seam worked wonderfully when the strips were in the right position, but it made sliding them into place almost impossible.
I quilted the piece using black thread to roughly draw a bird shape over the yellow areas, then filled the rest with a mixture of spirals (because I like them) and leaf type meanders.
I like the finished piece, but I'm looking forward to working larger, even though my last minute tactics are going to be more of a problem!