Pages

Monday 29 February 2016

Haut-de-Cagnes

For this final instalment in our colour series, Dianne's yellow challenge, I decided to work from a photo taken on my holiday last fall in the south of France.

Haut-de-Cagnes, 11 x 8.5
I think the sunny yellow conveys some of the warmth of my experience in the hillside town of Haut-de-Cagnes. Paired with the blue of the sky, it's a typical Provençal combination. Hand-dyes and commercial prints were both used, with a little water-soluble pencil for shading.

photo taken in Haut-de-Cagnes, September 2015
For this series, I have created twelve Cityscapes in a rainbow of colours. It is satisfying to look back and see the whole collection. I would like to think doing this series has taught me something about colour and composition!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's response to the challenge, and to launching our next series, when we respond to fine art of the modern period.

9 comments:

  1. Love this piece Heather, but I haven't seen a piece of your work in this style that I haven't loved. I actually think your picture looks a nicer place to live than than the photo - the yellow gives it a sunny feel that is almost missing in the photograph. I also love the simplicity of the few colours and minimal lines in your piece. Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have a look at your page on our website to see the full series, Heather. There is a consistency in your interpretation of what can sometimes be complex views. It's knowing what to include and what to leave out that is your hall mark of success.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always you do a sterling job and always manage to get it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly pumped up the photo. There's no way I would have had that vision. Love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always what you leave out, absolutely makes the piece, you are a master of minimalism! Interesting to read of your use of water-soluble pencil - is this going to take this style a step further?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard to add to the above! It's a lovely piece. And interesting to see the use of blue with the yellow in this set of challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must have been a very warm and memorable visit. This piece just glows with all of that. I always like the way the shadows look so inviting and offset in your series. Also enjoy the intrigue of those whirly wire bits that contrast with the solidity of the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really can't add anything to what the others have said, though I thing that this is my favourite one of yours. I love the colour combination and the minimalism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Running out of things to say! Your interpretation of the photo brings a rather drab scene to life. So well done as always.

    ReplyDelete