I struggled a bit with this challenge, despite it being one of my favourite colours. The problem was other deadlines which were more urgent, and then the subsequent relaxation after those had been meet. I finally discovered myself driving down an english motorway, last Thursday, on the way to Belgium for a long weekend, with nothing done and no ideas. Luckily inspiration suddenly struck as we were sitting in a traffic queue. The overhead signs on the motorway were rounded rectangles, and when viewed from behind you can see the angular shapes of the metal beams. I suddenly saw a set of shapes against an aubergine background.
During the making of the piece I discovered a few problems. The original idea to reverse applique the 'background' using a freezer paper template failed completely due to the size of piece, and the extreme fraying of the silk I was trying to use. Fusing them onto a cotton background worked, though the fusing was stuck more to the seam allowances then the top fabrics, meaning many edges were still loose. They subsequently tried to fray as soon as a sewing machine needle came near them. My orignal aubergine silk got used for the binding.
On the whole I'm pleased with this, and can see how it could be done on a larger scale. Can't wait to see the next colour.