Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

THREADS - all thing connect



"Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect."

I came across this the other day and wrote it down but not by whom or where I saw it.  I thought it was quite appropriate as it brought me all the way back to our first challenge 'connections' and this completes my series within a series of 12 pieces. It also confirms our connection by thread across the world.

I have incorporated the bought piece in the middle (frog and surround) but the border is all my work and then I machine quilted it.  It was quite humbling sitting at night doing the handwork.  A quiet, thought provoking but thoroughly enjoyable moment.

10 comments:

  1. I like your use of a piece of bought work in the middle, and how well you have then made your own work to match. It shows the common threads which connect all sewers together. There's something very satisfying about hand sewing, both doing it and seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful piece. I love the borders you have added. I looked carefully at the stitching and didn't realise you had done it by hand! Well done.

    Hilary

    PS There is one more block to come - Venetta calls the next theme (we will have 13 because of Rosie being part of the group in the early stages). H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil this is such a great idea that you had - we see these pieces here and think of so many different ways to use them but you have really made this so special by combining your own ideas and stitching into this piece. What a wonderful way of incorporting the two. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go back and look at your post of November 6, when you gave us a tantalizing clue about your take on this theme. Your choice of the stitched border is a skillful extension of the central motif, very much in keeping with the traditional embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quote is from Chief Seattle (c. 1786 – June 7, 1866), leader of the Suquamish and Duwamish Native American tribes in what is now the U.S. state of Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult to believe that this isn't one piece, you have obviously given much thought about how to meld the bought piece with your own handwork. Humbling indeed.

    P.S. I have saved this quote too (Thanks for the attribution Heather.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful use of hand stitching to so masterfully combine with the purchased frog. I love the quote too, so appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thoughtful and sensitive execution with a soothing result. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this. it reminds me of the frogs croaking in the drakensberg. great use of colors

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the quote and your words connecting us all by threads. Very fitting. I also find it fitting that you essentially continued the thread work of the original artist.

    ReplyDelete