Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

Spiritual Journey

The theme for this challenge goes to the very core of why I am a fiber artist: it is because of  thread. Thread that makes cloth. Thread that is used to sew to create something new.  Thread is my art medium.

In keeping with trying a new technique, I felted bamboo, wool and acrylic fibers onto an aubergine colored burlap background with my felting machine. Then I continued to felt silk threads to add color and texture.  I couched silk covered cords to add movement and more texture. I used a wool thread for quilting by machine, then I hand stitched pearl cotton for additional depth and interest.

When making this piece I found myself in a state of happiness and play. There was no angst and there was no plan, I just wanted to allow the colors, the textures and the thread to guide me...a true spiritual journey.

10 comments:

  1. This is the piece I wanted to make, if only I had known it. I found a site that showed wound friendship bracelets, but I couldn't think of how to incorporate them, so I went back to my first thoughts. This piece perfectly displays 'pure' threads, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich and luscious. You have addressed the theme head-on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What glorious threads - and thread play. It is so rich in texture and colour, Venetta. Just threads! Wonderful. I want to stroke it.

    Hilary

    PS Venetta you are in the driving seat for the next theme. Anytime you like you can announce it. HG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE it - it just says it all - your texture is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is clear that the threads did a good job in guiding you - I so want to hold the celebration in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it love it love it Venetta! It is so visually stunning and the texture is so inviting. I especially like the addition of the hand stitching. A triumph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What more can I say. We have a challenge on the go over the next number of years in my province, based on the 'Little Gems' that the Contemporary Group in the UK ran a while back but we have called them "Luscious Little Layerings" ...... !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your joy is very evident in the choice of colours and in the sensitive detail acheived in the finish of this little gem! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if i had another idea other than what i did - this would have been it. i did toy with it for a while. beautifully executed venetta - great variety of threads

    ReplyDelete
  10. What richness you have created. Lovely use of all those threads. And you are to be congratulated for being so experimental with all of these themes. Certainly something I will think about as we move forward.

    ReplyDelete